Monday, February 06, 2006

NATTER

“Yes. And without even opening the box.” Said Catherine.
“It’s like a bit of Las Vegas by the sea.” Said Helen.
“Bournmouth’s the entertainment hub for the whole of the West. I mean Torquey is all very well if you want to look at the same bit of art for six months but…”
“Well. You know I prefer the cinema.”
“Well yes, of course.”
“You get to take the weight off your feet for an hour or two.” Helen shifted the receiver a bit while she spoke. She was getting a crick in the neck. This had gone on and on.
“Yes.” Said Cathrine.
Blue
“Although you never really know what you’re getting.”
“I just look at the blurb in the freebee and try to read between the lines. Actually that’s not true. I just follow the herd. Not much point watching a film no one else wants to watch. You can tell them about it but they won’t really know what you’re talking about unless they’ve been there.”
“Unless they’ve seen it, yes.”
“Yes. Unless they’ve seen it. Otherwise it’s a bit of a non discussion. Like talking to yourself with someone else in the room.”
Black
“Mind you, I talk to myself.”
“Not with someone else in the room.”
“Well, no. It’s the first sign of madness isn’t it, talking to yourself?”
“First sign of madness, Helen.”
“Call me crazy.”
“Crazy Helen.”
“Thanks.” Said Helen.
Blue
“Could be worse.”
“Oh I don’t know. I wouldn’t fancy it myself.”
“You don’t know till you’ve tried Helen. I think I’m cracking sometimes.”
“I know what you mean.”
“Do you?”
“The school is driving me nuts.”
Black
“Really?”
“The PTA.”
“Oh yes. That. Father McFearson says that most parents are bastards.”
“He Does Not!” Said Helen, genuinely shocked. “Oh Cathrine really. Father McFearson’s a very nice man.
Blue
“Oh I don’t know. Nice like Christopher you mean?”
“Of course. He’s gorgeous. Your husband I mean, not Father…” There was a long pause: the kind you can get away with face to face, sitting in the same room together. “Cathrine?” Said Helen.
Black
“Laurence of Arabia was gorgeous and he was a sadist.”
“He was a masochist.” Helen corrected her. “Burning matches and all that. I saw the film. We saw it together didn’t we? You want to see something next week?”
Blue
“Helen I can’t. I’m...” There was another pause. “I’m busy.” While the tears ran down her face.
Black
“Cathrine. What’s wrong?”
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue
Black
Blue

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home